Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Two Weeks to Lift-Off

Fall classes start in two weeks. This means I am now building my classes. I'm teaching an overload this semester, in order to qualify to teach only two classes in Spring 2023, which will leave me time to finish the third novel in the Escape Velocity series. So: three Comp I classes, a Global Lit class, and Fiction workshop. About a 100 students, 75 of them writing several papers per class.

I'll just keep my eyes on the prize: Spring 2023, when I'll likely be teaching a single Comp II class and Fiction Workshop. Less than 50 students. Delicious.

I used to say I would never retire, that I would die in the classroom. Why would I quit teaching, when I love teaching so much? But I have to say retirement is looking more and more attractive with every passing semester. It's not that I've stopped loving teaching; it's that I love having long empty hours in which I can read and write and mess about instead.

I am looking forward to fall, though. Only another five weeks of summer! 


No comments: