Friday, July 08, 2022

Reposting on Trans and LGBTQ and Gender

 I wrote this post in 2019, but as the situation has not only continued but grown even worse, I'm reposting it: Trans, Bi, Genderfluid, Cis, Gay, Lesbian

Interestingly, on Twitter recently a TERF insisted I had to be trans, after I pointed out her arguments about trans people were 100% incorrect. I said I wasn't trans, I just thought people should have equal rights. She said I was a man, and therefore I should shut up about this, since I had no idea what women were worried about. Then she blocked me.

Anyway, the above is a lengthy read, I know.

Here's an excerpt:

Why are TERFs and transphobes so bothered by the existence of trans people and LGB people? Why do they get so rage-filled and out of control when facts and evidence are presented to them?

There's a certain sort of person, usually an authoritarian-raised person, who clings to boundaries and rules. (The authoritarian person "categorizes the world with the simplicity and rigidity of a five year old child.") Any violation of these rules, however minor, terrifies them. We see this with people who call for draconian punishments for minor crimes: if someone can run a stop sign with impunity, these people claim, or use illegal drugs and not suffer for it, then our culture (nay, our world) is doomed. (Thus the authoritarians who embrace of leaders such as Roberto Duerte, for instance, who summarily executes drug addicts on the street.)

For these people, gender rules must be strictly enforced. If a young boy can wear nail polish with impunity, then our entire culture is at risk. 

No comments: