Wednesday, July 20, 2022

How to Survive a Heat Dome

Murderously hot weather continues. I took my dog outside (he's blind now, so we have to carry him outside and then stay with him so he doesn't get confused) yesterday afternoon, and a hot wind was blowing across the city, fever hot against my face. 106 degrees at four in the afternoon.

Today will have a high of 103, says the weather channel. Tomorrow is cooler, if we can count a high of 99 as cool. And then back up into the 100s.



How are we surviving? Some tips for living in an old house in Arkansas during a heat emergency (that's what the weather guy called it yesterday -- more than 30 without rain, and killer temps every day):

(1) Eat cold or frozen foods. I've been living on watermelon, cheese, salad, and popsicles. Sometimes I eat pistachios as well. I keep thinking I will have some peas and rice for dinner, after it cools off, but it doesn't cool off until well past midnight, so I never do.

(2) Wear as little as possible. I had two sleeveless shirts and a pair of loose shorts that I wear around the house. 

(3) If you have to go outside, don't stand in the sun. Find some shade. You won't be cool, but you won't get heatstroke either. Also, don't stand in the sun if you're wearing sleeveless shirts, unless you like getting a sunburn in ten minutes.

(4) Don't leave the house after 10:00 in the morning. You can leave after sunset if you have to, but what's opening in your useless town after 8:30? Not much, and I'm speaking from experience here. There's a drugstore which is open all night, and it sells very bad ice cream. Not worth the trip. Get everything done at dawn if you can.

(5) If you do have to leave the house after 10:00 in the morning, take it slow. Park your car in the shade if you can. Drink a lot of water. Be kind to each other. 

(6) The gym has an indoor swimming pool. Unfortunately, this means you will have to go to the gym at 3:00, since the pool is scheduled for classes until then. See above concerning leaving the house after 10:00 a.m.

(7) To save a little $$$, turn off most of your window units at dawn. Keep the curtains drawn after 10:00, especially those on the southwest side of the house. Don't use appliances if you can help it. Eat off paper plates so you won't have to use the dishwasher more than twice a week. Since you're not wearing any clothes and you're showering at the gym, you won't need to do laundry very often either. Yay!

(8) Take naps.

(9) Obsessively check the weather reports. Maybe the forecast will change! Maybe it will only be 95 degrees next week!

(10) Remember fall is only -- checks notes -- nine weeks away!

4 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

Even dropping kids off places without me getting out of the car is enervating. Last night at 9pm it was still 97 degrees! Which I thought was hot until I remembered that's a drop of over 10 degrees from the day's high. (It's still hot.)

I liked these tips:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShabanaMir1/status/1549476331863396356

delagar said...

It's really exhausting doing anything in this heat -- just going to the library means I need a two hour nap afterwards.

I like those tips too.

Releeh said...

Over in my bit of Australia, it's unseasonably grey and wet for what should be our dry season and we're facing our third (fourth? I've lost track) flood risk, with all the accompanying mould issues. Not looking forward to finding out what our summer is going to be like - while the house designs are very different, I suspect all the heat advice being passed around in the Northern Hemisphere will end up coming in handy. Good luck to you in the meantime!

delagar said...

Thank you! Send some of that rain our way.