Friday, June 03, 2022

Life at the Gym

We've been working out at least four times a week at the gym for a month now. Time for an update!

(1) I like going to the gym at 8:00 better than at 5:00, which is doable during the summer. Come fall, when in-person classes resume, we may have to go back to 5:00.

(2) I do like getting the workout over before I start writing. On Sundays, the gym doesn't open until noon, so I write before we go, and ugh, I'm so logy. A quart of coffee helps, but 40 minutes of exercise before I start writing really clears the head.

(3) I like belonging to a gym. This is a surprise, since up to now I always scorned the notion. Why pay money to some gym when you can bike or walk or run for free on the streets? But having gym equipment available to me, and a gym to go to, and a climate-controlled space, makes exercise much more attractive.

(4) Also having a gym partner -- in this case, Dr. Skull -- really helps. On my own, I am sure I would find ways, and I know he would find ways, to skip gym "just this once," and then it would be two weeks without exercise, and ugh. But since we're both going, we make each other go.

(5) So far I am just doing weights and bicycling on the recumbent bike. Soon I might start swimming, though. This morning someone was on my weight machine. The nerve!

(6) Do I feel better with regular exercise? I think I do. We'll see in another month.

So far, the experience is 9/10. Recommended for those who have the $$ and the time.

Source: https://www.thecomicstrips.com/comic-strip/Rudy+Park/2020-12-04/186064




No comments: