Saturday, February 12, 2022

What I'm Reading Now

I'm still re-reading all of Angela Thirkell. She is one of the writers I read when I am sick and too fuzzy-headed to focus. 

(The others are Kage Baker, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Jo Walton. This isn't because these books are simple or only fit for fuzzy-headed people to read; it's because I've read them so often I know the plots by heart and can follow what's happening without effort. Also because I already own or have access via the library to all their books.)

Anyway, so what I've been reading lately is all of Angela Thirkell, plus a mystery series about a Texas police officer named Deb Ralston, written by Ann Wingate under the pen name of Lee Martin. This latter is not all that great, but again, good for reading when fuzzy.

I'm better now, so yesterday I read Stephen King's big fat novel Billy Summers, after seeing it praised on some book blog, I forget which, as being excellent. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't say excellent. It's about a hit man who only murders bad people. The hit man is literate and thoughtful, so I can see why the book blogger liked him, but the last fourth of the book should have been trimmed down to ten pages. Also, there's a rape victim who is "saved" and then redeemed by the hit man. Not my favorite trope.

But as with much of King's work, this one was compulsively readable. And only a little spooky shit.

I'm also reading for my Global Lit class -- I read the Whale Rider, which commenter Nicky suggested, and am adding it to the syllabus. It's a slim, excellent novel, set in New Zealand, and written by Witi Ihimaera, who is Maori. Highly recommended if you haven't read it yet. I'd seen the movie, but hadn't read the book.

What about all y'all? Reading anything good?


2 comments:

Nicky said...

I'm glad you're adding 'Whale Rider' to the syllabus; I've been re-reading it myself. :)

delagar said...

It's really good! Plus a lot of our students here are training to be high school teachers, so we try to use books they could use in high school classes. This one looks perfect for that.