Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Huh

Apparently it's a truism in far-right conservatives circles that "Democrats" want to make everyone eat crickets instead of steak?

I'm confused by how this bizarre belief got started. Did Fox News do a story about it, or what?

It looks like there were a couple of studies done in 2021 which showed that insects have a higher nutrient value than does red meat, and that eating them would be better for the environment than raising cows. How it went from that to "Biden wants to make us eat crickets," I do not know. But I've seen like ten people reference it over the past few months.

Now if they could only combine Biden forcing conservatives to eat bugs with bugs spreading Covid and the vaccine against Covid turning everyone into communists (yes, I saw that one today), we'll have a trifecta!

ETA: Oh, look. It was Prager U and Tucker Carlson. I should have known.




2 comments:

Jenny F Scientist said...

They're well behind the times! I saw a documentary about one of these Australian companies years ago! (Conspiracy theories need no logic, naturally.) https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100127974

delagar said...

I saw one of the early studies, I think -- anyway, in my SF novels, cricket bread is one of the staples fed to contract labor workers, and I must have gotten that from somewhere.