Friday, September 09, 2022

Death of Elizabeth II

Honestly, I have no feelings one way or another toward Elizabeth II, though I did enjoy the first few seasons of The Crown. (I lost interest somewhere halfway through the third season.) It's true Britain was a colonizing superpower that hurt a lot of people, and it's true that she did nothing about it, but on the other hand, at least according to what I saw on the Crown, there wasn't a lot she actually could do. The anger should be aimed at those members of Parliament who actually implemented the bad actions, I would think. But bear in mind I know almost nothing about how British government actually works.

What I'm really enjoying is watching people on Twitter clutching their pearls because other people on Twitter are saying mean things about the queen. The old "How dare you speak ill of the dead?" routine. As if Elizabeth, or her family, could give a toss about what people were saying on Twitter.

I do like the person who linked this video in response:


ETA: Pharyngula has a take

2 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

People keep talking about Irish twitter but all I've seen is a little bit of a tiktok of Irish dancers to another one bites the dust.

(My reaction: 96 is a long life. Also who cares about old rich people? I mean, Betty White is one thing, or God forbid when Dolly Parton reaches 100+ and it's her time to go. But the UK royal family, whatevs.)

D Shannon said...

"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" are the best television shows for understanding how the United Kingdom's government works. (Short answer: as was seen in real life recently, not very well.)