Friday, September 16, 2022

Cocaine Hippos

I'm teaching three sections of Comp I, for a total of 65 students, and wisely I made everyone's paper due on the same day. So I am having to read 65 Summary/Evaluations of scholarly articles (which in practice means reading 65 scholarly articles myself). 

I am also working on reviews for Asimov's and for Interzone.

I would also like to write a little fiction, please. Also exercising four times a week. Dishes and laundry are piling up.

So blogging may be slow for the next couple weeks.

For you edification, however, Cocaine Hippos! 

In the 1980s, the infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar imported 4 hippos onto his estate in Colombia. Today, the hippos have escaped the estate and they number around 60 individual animals and continue to reproduce. To mitigate risk of harm to humans and curb hippo population growth, the government has begun an effort to castrate the males in order to control their numbers. How effective are these efforts? 

(One of my students is doing their paper on hippos as an invasive species, and used this article for their Paper #1.)

No comments: