Friday, June 24, 2005

Email

Found this via Atrios: http://atrios.blogspot.com/

Listen, I'm pissed as hell at Rove. I am a democrat and have been forever. (I'm 54) ... my two kids who just happen to be in the US Army serving are also democrats. My son and daughter both joined as soon as they possibly could after 9/11.

So far they are both safe from harm (no thanks to Rove...).

My son and daughter both emailed me last night wanting to know just who in the hell the Rove guy is. They both want to plaster his face everywhere around the bases they are stationed. It seems that Rove didn't know that a good percentage of enlisted folk were Democrats. They like to say around the bases that republicans don't volunteer.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/6/24/8621/80662

Kos adds:

"went into the Army a Republican, came out a Democrat. It really is a fiction that the military is heavily Republican. And Rove's statements are a slap in the face of every Democrat currently serving his or her country."

That has been my experience, of my students who have returned from Iraq -- the ones who actually fought there -- and mr. delagar's returning veterans too: that they are liberal democrats, I mean.

The two I know best were liberal democrats when they went in, as well.

In fact, I don't know any returning Iraqi vets on this campus that are Republicans.

This might be a selection process -- I don't hide my political views (heh, I don't, you should see my door, and in fact students travel from all over campus to see my door, it is famous) but on the other hand, my Republican students don't seem particular skeered of me and frequently come hang out to debate the issues with me, so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Republicans don't volunteer." Nope, they're too busy making sure that all the poor people's kids do it instead. Have you seen Jesus's General's "Operation Yellow Elephant" mission statement? http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2005_06_19_patriotboy_archive.html#111924907437313848