Monday, May 22, 2023

Pork Allergy?

Is it possible to be allergic to pork? Lately every time I eat anything with pork in it, I get terrible stomach aches and other gastrointestinal issues which I will pass over in silence. 

The internet says meat allergies are becoming more common, but I think this one is just to pork.  I admit I don't eat a lot of meat, so I might not have noticed. I will have to get a hamburger and see what happens.

This says that it starts with a tick bite, and I haven't had a tick in years. And this says cat allergies are linked, but I'm not allergic to cats.

I do eat a lot of cheese and drink milk in my coffee, and those don't seem to bother me. What happens if I have to become a vegetarian? I mean, besides it being good for the planet and all.

Apparently I could still eat fish and chicken. I like fish, so good.


2 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

According to our allergist journeys (mostly DC2) you can become allergic to anything. Stomach aches sound like an intolerance. (Though actual throwing up could be an allergy.)

Also, you may not be allergic to pork but to something they shoot the pork up with.

When we couldn't afford meat (other than 69 cent chicken leg-thigh combos) in graduate school, I lost my ability to eat beef and had massive stomach aches and GI problems as I gradually worked my way back to having enzymes in my stomach that could digest beef. Apparently this is a common problem with people who go vegetarian (not my high school roommate though who was able to eat an English breakfast no problem after years of not eating any meat-- I go a year without and am throwing up in bushes after eating a steak!)

With me getting back to eating beef, I found that ultraprocessed stuff was ok, and then processed, and then burgers and then finally I could eat steak again.

delagar said...

I did vomit once, and I'm nauseous a lot. I wonder if it's because I don't usually eat pork -- maybe I lost the enzymes?