Tuesday, March 28, 2023

What I'm Watching Now

For All Mankind, season 3. In this alternative time-line, Russia lands on the moon first, which engenders all sort of changes in the US and the world. We're up to 1994 now and the US and Russia land on Mars, along with an Elon-Musk sort of private sector mission. (A competent Elon Musk, which I know, hard to picture.) This is available on Apple TV, but you can get a trial period for free, and after that it's pretty cheap. It's mainly probably attractive to those of us who lived through the abortive space race and the death of that particular dream. But also Clinton doesn't get elected, and neither do the Bushes, so the US never enters into an endless middle east war which sucks up trillions of dollars to no purpose whatsoever. So that's satisfying.


Lucky Hank. Honestly I only watched half an episode of this one. I like the Richard Russo book this is based on, Straight Man, which is about a writer teaching at a middle-tier school, but the show is somehow much more depressing. Accurate as to life as an English professor at a middle-tier school, though.

Ted Lasso, season three. Ted Lasso cured my depression back during the pandemic, but so far this season is fairly grim. I hope we see an upturn soon. Also on Apple TV, this is a show about a soccer team in England, in which everyone tries hard to act right. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing anyway. Also I love Roy Kent, who swears more than I do. And everyone reads books on this show, which I like to see in my media.

The Last of Us, season one. This is over now, but I enjoyed it. Only recommended if you like dystopian science fiction with zombies. Bella Ramsey, who plays the kid, is just stellar. Worth watching for her alone, but again, only if you can handle dystopia + zombies. Also some nice gay representation.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Upstart Crow still on your "to watch" list?

delagar said...

It is, but I keep not getting to it!