Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Spring Break Looms, Have Some News

We're two days away from the start of Spring Break, and yes, I am counting. I am desperate for time to get caught up on my work, which I believe was the original intention of Spring Break.

The weather here is not quite spring-like -- we're having rain and cold, interspersed with bright cold sunny days. I suppose that's spring-like in some parts of the country. It's unusual for an Arkansas spring, though. Everything is blooming early -- daffodils, redbud, pear trees -- and every lawn and field is fuzzy with bright green grass. Very Easter-y.

I have bought the supplies for Passover, which is on April 5, except for the brisket. I floated having lamb, but Dr. Skull demurred. Apparently brisket is traditional for Northeastern Jews.

Meanwhile, the kid is considering graduate school. He had a meeting with the head of the university library, which is his true goal -- to work at a library and do art -- and the guy said a masters in science would make him more competitive for library jobs. (We were wondering what use a masters in biological anthropology would be.) He's talking to his mentor about it, I think today? But maybe tomorrow.

My father's condition is worsening, which is to be expected, but is depressing nonetheless. He's in the fifth stage of dementia, which means he can't communicate and doesn't recognize people most of the time. Also, he can't really handle daily life -- he forgets to eat and bathe, that kind of thing. The assisted living place is moving him into what's called The Memory Care unit, where nurses and aides will help him function. I want to live a long life, but I do not want to spend my last years like this. It's just awful.

Also, I succeeded in making a sweater. Here is a very bad picture of it, with my shambolic bedroom in the background:





3 comments:

Foscavista said...

If it were lamb, which part? Lamb and duck are my two favorite proteins.

Anonymous said...

Nice sweater!

delagar said...

Foscavista: You know, we didn't get that far. Maybe leg of lamb? Or chops.

Anon: Thank you!