Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Pro-life is Forced Birth (for other people)

I had a student give a presentation in my Women's Lit class once, mainly I suspect to "witness" to me and the other evil feminists there, about how abortion was murder, and how 20 week old fetuses could survive an abortion and then be "murdered" by nurses, and various other "pro-life" talking points. During the discussion afterwards, it was revealed that two of the students in the class had had abortions, one because they were a diabetic and could not survive the pregnancy, and other other because of a fatal malformation of the fetus.

"That's different!" the student giving the presentation cried. "Those aren't real abortions!"

It's always going to be "different," you understand, when it's them or theirs who need an abortion. Those won't be "real" abortions. "Real abortions" are those which evil slutty women who like to have sex and kill babies have. 

"Abortion isn't birth control," they cry; at least, until their birth control fails, or their daughter forgets to take hers. Then it's an entirely different matter.


4 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

It is really hard to have a daughter right now.

Especially if abortion is made illegal after 6 weeks in the US if Republicans sweep the midterms.

I spent a good portion of yesterday trying to figure out what countries offer safe and legal abortions to foreign visitors. (Oddly... Mexico seems to be best option for now, which is a really new thing for safe and legal.) I recommend everyone read Search for An Abortionist from the 1970s-- what kind of abortion you get depends a lot on your connections, even if you are rich. And with all the surveillance going on, it may be hard to find that information in the future. The right to privacy is soon to no longer be a thing.

I didn't sleep well last night because my subconscious was like hey, it's not only your daughter you have to worry about... I'm getting too old to handle a pregnancy. I could very easily be in the situation of that second tweet you posted. My first miscarriage didn't require D&C but that doesn't mean future ones won't.

delagar said...

My miscarriage did indeed require a D&C. Having the miscarriage was hard enough. I cannot image having to go through the torture of waiting for the rest of the "pregnancy" to expel itself.

And having the government of Arkansas DECIDE how long I had to carry the remains of a failed pregnancy in my body? Holy hell.

Jenny F. Scientist said...

I am comforted (for an extremely small value of 'comforted') by the fact that, pre-Roe, my grandmother had either 2 or 3 abortions (in a doctor's office!) and so did at least a couple of my aunts. And they weren't wealthy or educated, just the Jewish women knew who would do an abortion, no questions asked.

But that doesn't help everyone without the connections, or the money, or the ability to arrange it, or or or.

delagar said...

Exactly. People who have money and education and connections will always be able to get safe abortions -- Ursula Le Guin wrote about this in the essay about her own abortion. But the poor and penniless? Sucks to be them, I guess.