Tuesday, July 30, 2019

What to Do about Mosquito Bites?


I asked this question on FB out of desperation, since I have (currently) sixteen mosquito bites, all of which are swollen and mad itchy.

What I learned: Everyone has a home-cure for mosquito bites.

These include, so far:

  • Wash with lye soap
  • Wash with Epsom salts
  • Wash with oatmeal
  • Wash with bleach
  • Wash with baking soda
  • Daub with baking soda
  • Daub with Cortizone salve
  • Daub with Vicks Vapor rub
  • Daub with apple cider vineagar
  • Daub with peppermint oil
  • Daub with peppermint salve
  • Daub with Eagle Brand Medicated Oil 
  • Daub with chewed-up tobacco
  • Wash with a Clorox wipe
  • Wash with witch hazel
  • Take Benadryl
  • Try quaaludes, or heroin

I've tried several of these so far. Taking Benadryl is the only one that really works, but the box says not to take more than six in any 24 hour period, which leaves me itching for like 10 hours.

What's your cure?


Image result for mosquito bites

5 comments:

Tree of Know said...

Take a zyrtec--advice from my husband's doctor when he had a really bad, multiple mosquito bite reaction; she also said he could take it twice as often as the label said. I think that's every 12 hours instead of 24. It helped him.

I also do the thing where you make a cross on it with your fingernail. Pretty sure that one is just psychological; it's like scratching but not.

Releeh said...

Wow, quite a list! Personally I put calamine lotion on mosquito bites - it's a bit messy, but works okay.

nicoleandmaggie said...

wandering scientist swears by putting a hot spoon against the bite

delagar said...


Hot spoon is a new one!

Zyrtec got recommended over on FB, and also Calamine lotion.

I'm trying everything, so

Anonymous said...

I also second calamine for at least some relief: worked for chicken pox.