Monday, September 24, 2007

Paperback Swap

This is cool.

It's a site one of my students hooked me up with -- you send people books you don't want, and get credits for doing so, and then you can get people to send you books you do want, for free, basically. (You do have to pay the postage to send books out.)

When you sign on and post nine books, you get three free credits up front.

I've been messing with it for a few weeks now, and it works just like it says it does. The kid has gotten two free books by Allan Ahlberg that we've always wanted and never been able to find, I got a mythology text I wanted to look at for my summer I class (which I probably could have gotten free from the publisher, but didn't have the patience to try that), also a mystery novel I've been wanting to read for awhile, I'm waiting on another book I wanted to read -- it's all good!

If you're as book-starved as we always are, or a poor student, you might have a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The site looks interesting; I'll have to try it. Lord knows I have plenty to share!

Remember my post a few weeks ago about the concerns with corn-based agriculture/food? Well, my friend, whose chef aunt first mentioned it to her, was talking to her brother (also a chef/organic dairygoat farmer) and found that the concern first appeared in a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma". Her brother said that he has people come out to his farm for the weekend tours who ask if he feeds his goats corn. He was curious, so he finally asked someone why they were asking. "The Omnivore's Dilemma," was their answer. Hope this helps. I haven't read it myself yet, but it's on the ever-growing list.

delagar said...

Cynthia -- Thanks! That looks like a book I need to read too!