Saturday, January 20, 2024

The Semester Commences

It is still extremely cold here, plus there will be an ice storm on Monday, but my online classes and the online portion of my F2F classes have begun submitting work.

As has been true for the past six or seven years, I am pleased at how literate and willing to work my students are. I allow them to revise work that's below an A if they want to try for a higher grade, and most of them jump at the chance. They're good at reading and -- mostly -- pretty good at writing.

That's not every student, of course. But it's so many more of them than it was when I first started teaching. Our public schools must be doing something right. 

Of course, at this point, I've taught a sizeable percentage of the English teachers in those schools. Maybe I'm just impressed because they're good in the areas I care most about, which is to say evaluating sources for credibility, writing coherent grammatical sentences, and building good paragraphs.


ETA: I'm also surprised at how technologically inept most of them are. The online generation has to be walked through so many aspects of everyday technology. We should be teaching that in school, not how to do taxes or write cursive.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My darling oldest often tries to explain technology to me, but wrong. I work for a tech company.

I should probably get on teaching him useful stuff but also the teenager doesn't want to hear it from mom.

Jenny F Scientist said...

Whoops that was me.

delagar said...

My kid learned how to do everything when he moved out. He does tech support now, so sometimes I message him when I'm having computer issues.