Monday, January 22, 2024

Ice Day

 My university shut down again today, this time due to ice. 

There is indeed a lot of ice out there, so it makes sense.

I remember in my first year teaching at this university, when I was teaching six sections of comp and working nine or ten hours a day, I'd get to work at six a.m. Back then, this was before the university cancelled classes the night before. So I drove to work one morning over sheer fucking ice -- like two inches of ice on every road -- and got to work and sat shivering for about an hour, before a passing fellow instructor informed me that classes had been cancelled due to the ice.

So then I had to drive home again, still over ice, with two huge hills between me and the campus.

It was delightful.

5 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

I'm sitting in my office with my shoes and socks off feeling sorry for myself because it is pouring rain and even though I OWN rainboots I didn't think to wear them.

I have an in-person meeting to go to in an hour that should last about 5 minutes but will probably drag out to 15 and could have been done over zoom.

nicoleandmaggie said...

I also left my lunch at home on the kitchen counter.

delagar said...

Over Zoom or via email! (I hate meetings.)

I'm already fretting about getting to work at dawn tomorrow. I suppose I can walk if I have to.

nicoleandmaggie said...

Win! My lunch meeting had lunch provided.

delagar said...

Score!