Monday, February 06, 2023

Faux News

Everybody was at the gym today, which meant I got stuck with the bike with the television that is stuck on Fox News. Luckily, I have gotten earphones for my phone, so that I can listen to audiobooks while I bike, so I didn't have to listen to the endless screech of nonsense, but I also couldn't turn the TV off, not on this bike. Even glancing at it now and then was painful. For well over half an hour, excluding lengthy commercials, they discussed the extremely important story of the Chinese balloon that drifted into American airspace and how Biden didn't immediately make it, I don't know, vanish, and how that put Americans in danger, and how the Chinese are laughing at us, and and and. It was endless, and every segment looked like it was repeated at least three or four times -- same graphics, same "reporters," same clips of Biden being interviewed about the balloon and China.

The commercials were selling silver coins by the pound, plus survivalist kits, plus telling you how to sue your local water company, plus how to sign up for some kind of prescription medication card that will let you get your blood pressure medicine even cheaper than Medicare, plus plus plus. 

I suppose the good news is that people avoid this bicycle, even choosing the one on the end on which the television doesn't work at all, rather than get stuck with Fox News, despite ninety percent of the members being conservative. 

Still, it was relentless and depressing. American propaganda. Ugh.


No comments: