Friday, January 27, 2017

How Can I Still Be Sick?


I think the stress of living in Trump's America is wrecking my immune system.

I've been sick with what Web MD insists is nothing but a cold since just after Christmas. That's over a month now. I'm sleeping ten and fourteen hours a day, broken, unrestful sleep, since I spend a lot of it coughing violently. I coughed so splendidly and thoroughly at work the other day that a colleague came down the hall to offer me emergency cough drops.

I suppose I should consult my doctor. I hate doctors.

Meanwhile, teaching is going excellently. I'm teaching that Popular Literature class on Zombies, Vampires, and the Apocalypse. (The perfect time in America to be teaching such a class, as we drive off the cliff into the apocalypse.) We started with Train to Busan, a Korean movie. If you haven't seen this one, and you don't mind terrifying zombie movies, it's very much worth watching. You can rent it on Amazon streaming video.




Now we're reading World War Z, a different sort of Zombie tale. On to Naomi Kritzer's "Zombies in Winter" after that. The class itself is lively and engaged. It's just delightful to have students who not only have read the work, but have avidly read the work and can't wait to talk about it.


No comments: