- I break a tooth
- the washing machine breaks down
- the kid gets sick not once but twice (so far this month)
- I get put on the Committee From Hell (the committee members are lovely; the work load is the problem)
- I find out I need a root canal -- see broken tooth, above -- for which my dental insurance will cover only some of the cost
- the dog gets fleas and gives them to the cats
- the state sends us a letter saying we owe (I kid you not) nearly two thousand dollars in back taxes
- and now, this morning, we go out in the garage to find the car has yet another flat tire. (We ran over a screw. ANOTHER SCREW. The AAA guy says the city is doing a lot of construction; he's seeing a lot of flat tires as a result. He says this is better than the other tires he had to change this morning, two of them, a result of a woman whose ex-boyfriend came around during the night to slash two of the tires on her truck. Count your blessings, I guess.)
"Uh-oh," we say. "We're in an astrological cold spot."
To be clear, neither of us believe in astrology. Or magical thinking of any kind. Or fate. Or even bad luck.
I don't even believe the universe is actually fucking with us.
But jeez, universe, Let up a little. I give.