Friday, August 23, 2013

Women's Literature World-Wide

Come the spring, I'll be teaching a women's world literature class for our Literature of Diverse Cultures class.

I have some (very vague) ideas about what I want to teach and what I don't want to teach also.

Kind of essentially, I don't want to teach most of the books I taught in Woman's Lit last spring, which ended up being these:


  • Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
  • Joanna Russ, A Female Man
  • Kameron Hurley, God's War
  • bell hooks, bone black
  • Janet Mitchell, Creepy Girl and Other Stories
  • Harriet Jacobs, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Michelle Tea, Rent Girl
  • Charlotte Gilman, Herland
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves
Also, obviously, I want this one to be a great deal less Western / American, and a great deal more multi-cultural.  

Maybe less 20th/21st century too.

Anyway!  I have a few ideas of my own, but I'd love a wider range.

Anyone having brilliant suggestions, drop them in comments, please!

3 comments:

S_Montefiore said...

I'd start with The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon.

Anna, a guest poster at Echidne of the Snakes, created a series of 15 posts on the women's literary canon and 9 posts on a feminist literary canon. The final posts of each series contains links to earlier posts, so I'll just mention the final posts here.

http://echidneofthesnakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/guest-post-by-anna-literary-canon-of_15.html

http://www.echidneofthesnakes.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-guest-post-by-anna-feminist-literary_28.html

Spanish prof said...

No idea who has been translated, but here are some Latin American names: Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Elena Poniatowska, Nancy Morejon, Diamela Eltiti, Cristina Peri Rossi, Carmen Boullosa, Juana Gorritti, Cristina Rivera Garza...Hope it helps

delagar said...

Thanks, y'all!