Friday, February 13, 2015

What Would Jesus Do? Be Hateful, I Guess

Here's Rod Dreher, being a hateful little jerk.

Heaven Is For Real, he titles this post, and goes on to mock trans people, his favorite target these days, when he isn't mocking feminism.

This is a man who spend half his blog claiming piously that Christianity -- not just that, but his specific sort of Christianity -- is the moral anchor that will save these United States.  How he can lived with the shame of his actions, of the spite and hatred in his soul, I cannot imagine.

Christ, what an asshole.

6 comments:

Contingent Cassandra said...

Not recognizably Jesus-like behavior to this Christian, at least.

As Ghandi (at least purportedly) said: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

delagar said...

Yes. My sentiment exactly.

delagar said...

Ironically, I am teaching the Sermon on the Mount in my Global Lit class next Tuesday -- which means I spent about four hours yesterday doing research on and studying the words of Jesus, thinking about their beauty and wisdom.

And then to be confronted by this scrap of hate, from someone who claims to be his follower.

I probably wouldn't be reacting so strongly, if not for the contrast.

Contingent Cassandra said...

It's a problem. There's a lot in the Bible from which to choose, and some people (imho) choose badly. Hard to go wrong reading the sermon on the mount, though.

fairyhedgehog said...

I left a comment there but I think I'm wasting my time.

I'm just glad that not all Christians are like that.

delagar said...

Yes, I occasionally comment too. But it seems to do little good.