Monday, December 23, 2013

Science Fiction: That Thing You Do

I'm teaching a Fiction Workshop in the writing of science fiction this spring.

Oddly enough, this is my first actual workshop in the writing of science fiction.

I've taught writing classes for a bazillion years now -- since I was a little tiny graduate student -- and creative writing classes for almost fifteen years; and in many of those classes I have taught science fiction writing on the side, as it were.

That is, I've allowed (encouraged, baited, nudged) students to write science fiction.  But this will be the first time I've attempted to teach students how to write science fiction.

As those of you who are teachers know, there is a wide difference between doing something and teaching someone how to do something.  As I'm working at my teaching notes for the class, I'm discovering how little I am able to articulate what I know about what this thing is that I do.

Science fiction: what is it?

I am making lists.  And doing research.

By January 13, let's hope I know.



No comments: