Saturday, March 14, 2020

Covid-19 in the Fort


Dr. Skull went out to buy cobbler supplies (he's making peach cobbler) this morning. The Wal-Mart is quiet now, with the few people who are shopping wearing masks, and the cashiers wearing gloves.

My university is holding training sessions for professors on Monday, to show us all how to teach online. I'm going to two of them -- the one on giving exams, and the one on holding discussion groups.

Our local public schools have not yet shut down.

There are six cases in Arkansas, none of them here or in Fayetteville. No one has died here yet.

My kid is thinking of coming home for a few weeks, since all his classes are online. His boyfriend was supposed to come live with them -- he was flying in next Monday -- but his flight was cancelled, and his parents are worried about him flying at this point anyway.

How are things where you are?


2 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

I figured out today that if I leave a comment on here via my phone, it disappears into the ether but if I use my computer you actually get it.

K-12 schools are cancelled for a week. DH made a grocery run for all the things we'd inadvertently left off our previous stock-up runs the night before all the local cancellations started which was an incredibly good move on his part, even if he had to go to Walgreens for toilet paper (we were down to 8 rolls and I was looking into family cloth when he said the grocery store is out). My friends have been texting me pictures of empty shelves for everything (fruit, meat, etc.) from all our local grocery stores.

My kids are already going stir-crazy and it's only Saturday.

I am not going to the online training sessions on Monday. But I am piloting giving an exam via zoom with some volunteers willing to take the exam early. Fortunately I have 12 years of old exams to choose from.

delagar said...


Ooo, I should set up some volunteers to pilot my online classes. What a good idea!