Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Um

File this one under coversations I never expected to have with my seven year old:

As we're driving to the Aikido lesson last night:

The kid: Darcy says she comes from a sexy family.

Me: Um. Does she? (Darcy's a fellow 7-year-old at the Montessori school.)

The kid: I don't think being sexy is all that important.

Me: Well, good. I don't either, actually.

The kid: Yeah. You're not all that sexy, for instance.

Me: (Blinking): Well, thanks.

The Kid: Or Daddy.

Me: Um. Well. I think Daddy's pretty sexy, actually.

The Kid: (Giggling): And he probably thinks you're sexy too.

Me: Uh-huh, yes, well. But I know what you mean. Other things are more important.

The Kid: Like being smart. And good. That's what I told Darcy.

Me: All right then. Good for you.

2 comments:

zelda1 said...

Gods, I love our girl. If everything goes well, she will be everything we all could have been, if.

maknhpyday said...

That is wonderful. My grandson told me not so long ago "I don't want to be cool, I want to be smart!" I replied "ya know being smart is cool" and with a twinkle in his eye he said "cool."