Wednesday, August 30, 2023

I Write a Poem

Meanwhile, in an Alternate Universe

Glassdoor keeps sending jobs it thinks would be a great fit for me

Landscape gardener, Warehouse night clerk, baker’s assistant

I have taught poets to write sonnets for thirty years but I admit

Sometimes I yearn for the world where I tend roses instead of students

Where I bake pies, where I move through towers of shadow

finding lost packages and hidden treasures, going home

at dawn to my one-room apartment

Where my cat sleeps in the sun

And a chicken stewed with peaches simmers in a crockpot




(The first poem I've written since I was about 25 years old)


2 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

I am by no means an expert, but this seems really good to me. The kind of thing that would make me smile if I still listened to Writer's Almanac or if John Green still opened podcasts with a short poem.

delagar said...

Thank you!