Saturday, August 02, 2008

Seditious Tool

I stopped being interested in Mr. Card's work when he published what he thought was a fair and balanced work about them evil liberals attacking the U.S. with giant robot zombie weapons, I forget what the name of that book was -- Empire Chickens, was it? Anyway, it was so bad I couldn't get past chapter four, and chapter one, with its Good Soldier who never ever got PTSD, because (unlike the actual soldiers in my classes) he was a GOOD AMERICAN, loyal to His country, made me nearly too queasy to go on -- and Chapter two, I think it was, though it might have been chapter three, I was starting to get dizzy, whichever chapter it was where the Good Wife, who, although she had a Good Education, and was (HONEST) a liberal, nevertheless, did not want to do anything so SILLY as to have a JOB, not when she could have five (or was it six?) kids instead and bake cookies (YES! when we meet her she is baking cookies!) for them and do Good Soldier's laundry for him.

That's what good liberal wives like to do: make babies, serve husbands, bake cookies. Mr. Card knows, because he's a liberal. You can tell Mr. Card is a liberal, because he says so right on his blog. Also because he holds so many liberal positions, like, um, well...

Where was I? Oh, yes, I stopped reading Mr. Card's books sometime around Empire Chicken, and I began growing distrustful of his sincere assertations about his liberal credentials a few years before that. I don't remember just when he began posting Pro-Bush/Pro-Iraqi War rants -- sometime Post 9/11, but our pals on the Right (and yes, despite his claims to be a liberal, just like Andy, Mr. Card is quite some distance to the Right) all went a little, what's the word I'm look for, a little whacktard after 9/11, and not many of them have managed to make it back to shore yet, bless their hearts. So, okay. He wants to believe W. is, what's the word he likes to use, "statesman-like," okay, whatever.

He's been posting anti-gay rants for a few years, too. Went off on Rowling over it a few months ago, because of the Dumbledore issue. Ai. Whatever. Why anyone would care what other people do in bed, you've got me.

But now this --

Speaking of the California court's action on gay marriage, Card says:

"Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

"Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die."


Mr. Card is inciting others to sedition. Well, that's a bit much, is it?

Yes, I get that Teh Gay scares him. And I've read all the theories that maybe he's that gay guy he's always talking about who married a het woman because God wants him too. And yes, it is indeed true that there's no convincing straight sex in his books -- but, you know, there's very little convincing straight sex in any SF by any SF male writers. Sometimes I think male SF writers just don't have sex, is the problem.

(I except China Mievielle and Iain Banks and Richard Morgan: these guys can write sex. And I think China might be at least bisexual, so there you are.)

And also I agree that lots of the stuff in his books is weirdly homoerotic and I get that his religion makes it not okay for him to support gay marriage or gay anything and blah blah blah, but this is all beside the point: the point is, the United States is not a theocracy.

It's not a theocracy. No one makes any religion in this country support gay anything. But our laws are not religious laws. They're secular laws.

Gay citizens are citizens just like straight citizens are. No reason exists why my gay friends or relations can't have the right to do what my straight friends and relations can do. If Mr. Card can't handle that, he should ship his ass to Iran, which is a religious state, where the laws might be more to his liking.

Or move across the border to South Carolina and get to work on the secession thing they keep threatening -- how'd that work out for them the last time? Treasonous tools.

More here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...the United States is not a theocracy.

Damn skippy it's not. High time people stepped off their Jesus horse and realized that.

delagar said...

Heh. Jesus horse.

sugaredharpy said...

Whacktard. Jesus Horse.

I really love you guys.

zelda1 said...

Hey,
Delagar, where are you? Fall is almost here and that means we are up and running with the group, right? Hey, I turned in my thesis and will defend soon and have set my world lit comps for the first week of September. How is Mr. Delagar's diss coming?

delagar said...

Zelda! I've been offline the last few days with a whacked computer. Yeah, let's get cooking! The young fella writer came by last week asking when we were starting up again. Send out an email!

zelda1 said...

Let me get through these comps and then we'll get cracking. I can't wait. Could we cut down, though, to like two times a month. One at your house and one at mine. At least until gas gets easier to buy.