Thursday, January 17, 2008

Over at Slacktivist, Fred articulates the trouble with Huckabee's position re religion and the state. (And, btw, all y'all on the right who have been telling all us on the left that we just need to calm down about this for the past eight years? Uh-huh.)

Key bit:

"The problem with Huckabee's statement is not that I disagree with him about same-sex marriage. The problem is that Huckabee doesn't care if I, or you, or anyone else, disagrees with him. His approach does not allow disagreement -- indeed, he says, to disagree with him is to disagree with God."

But read the whole thing:

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/01/king-and-huck.html

2 comments:

Paul Clarke said...

Hi there. I stumbled across your rather interesting blog while idly using the 'Next Blog' button on the banner on my blog. As a somewhat scared observer of U.S. politics from Canada, I'm very glad that there is a respectable population of nonreligious freethinkers down there. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Huckabee scares the holy poo out of me. Mr. Tonks (who's much more involved in US politics than I) says he hopes that Huckabee gets the nomination because, ultimately, he won't win. I, on the other hand, prefer he not get the opportunity at all.