Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Terrible Parenting

This is awful. I saw the same sort of "parenting" among some of the Christian kids my kid went to school with, especially the girls. Disappointment, sadness, grief -- none of those were allowed. Kids had to be happy, or else they were punished, usually with beatings. These kids grow up to be like one woman I had in my class once, who explained that her husband expected her to have a smile on her face at all times. When I expressed mild alarm at this, she smiled sweetly at me and explained he just wanted her to be happy, all the time. What could possibly be wrong with that?


And this too: 

5 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

That is horrifying. I thought "The beatings will continue until morale improves" was an obvious joke.

delagar said...

Not among Evangelicals, I guess :(

Anonymous said...

This is terrible. I can't even imagine treating my kids like this. I sent the oldest (14) to therapy this year specifically to help him learn how to deal with emotions in a healthy way!

delagar said...

Anon: Clearly you should have just beaten them until they pretended to be happy.

Revanche said...

"Perfect opportunity"???? OMFG.