Monday, October 16, 2023

Fall Break

When I was a kid in New Orleans we did not have Fall Break. Instead, we got two days off for Mardi Gras. As much as I enjoyed the all-day parades on Fat Tuesday, I like fall break much better. Better weather, for one thing -- it's sunny and chilly here this week, and I can leave the windows open almost all the time. (It's started to get too cold to have them open in the morning.)

We're not doing anything for break. I'm grading papers and reading for the book reviews I have due this fall; and Dr. Skull is revising his novel. Also, the kids are going to drive down next Saturday. Yes, drive all the way from Fayetteville to the Fort, all by themselves. 

I am freaking out, but pretending to be just fine. I remember when my little brother left for college at age 18, he drove himself all the way from New Orleans to Danville, Kentucky, when he had had his license for barely a week. I don't know how my mother survived it.

View from the back porch


2 comments:

Jenny F Scientist said...

I drove from Ohio to Colorado with my college roommate/ best pal, back in the days before cellphones! I hope and trust your kid and his fiance will be okay. That said, my oldest kid will be driving in 1.5 years and I'm already terrified.

delagar said...

Right?! I know I drove all over the country when I was the kid's age, and yeah, without cell phones, but argh.