Friday, August 29, 2014

My Favorite Rejection Letter So Far

I just got a rejection, from a non-USA SF magazine, for my short story "The Russians Invade Arkansas."

It was a very nice rejection, encouraging me to send more and speaking highly of my work; but my favorite part was the reader's notes, which included this comment:

"Too many things I don't understand: What is UPS? And this phrase -- "might could"? Is this an American expression of some sort?"

Well.  You might could say it is.  If Arkansas is actually part of America.

Hard to figure, some days.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might could is not just an Arkansas thing. I heard that in Nebraska as well.

delagar said...

It used to be a Southern Flatland / Southern Highland usage. Interesting that it's spread to Nebraska!

Where in Nebraska have you heard it, if you don't mind me asking? Is it in common use? (I ask for professional reasons! I teach History of the English Language and dialects are pat of my field.)