Friday, February 13, 2009

My father sent me this, a view inside the space station, which, except for the slight sexist bit (woman astronaut as cargo) is very cool. (Crap. I can't figure out how to add it. Here's the address --
InsidetheSpaceStation.wmv -- but it won't play.)


I have to say the woman as caro bit at the front just annoys me all out of measure. WTF? WTFF? Why can't my heroes, the astronauts, be fucking heroes? Why do they have to be sexists tools? I would love to watch this scrap of video and just enjoy it, just groove on the notion that we've got people, some of them women, too, in space. Instead, I've got to itch with the knowledge that those people think it's funny to treat half the human race like objects -- and can't imagine that anyone would find any reason to object to that. (You feminists, no sense of humor.)

And then this: Day by Day's charming effort for this Friday. Helen Thomas, as you'll recall, is the senior reporter who stood up to George W. and got demoted to the back row of the press conferences; Bush also stopped calling on her. Didn't call on her for three years. When he did call on her again, after three years of refusing to admit she was in the room, this was her question:

"I'd like to ask you, Mr. President, your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraquis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime. Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is: Why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, from your Cabinet—your Cabinet officers, intelligence people, and so forth—what was your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil—quest for oil, it hasn't been Israel, or anything else. What was it?"

So Chris Muir's response? He mocks her because she's old.

Old women, Mr. Muir believes, apparently have no right to exist. Ugly old things.

Also, good shit: look at this.



3 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

Here's a Youtube link. Might not be quite the same -- I was unable to watch past the "woman as cargo" bit.

delagar said...

Yes! That's it, Vance, thanks!

If you go past the woman as cargo, there's some totally cool stuff. I really like the scene where they're all eating lunch, for instance. But that part does damage the rest for me.

tonkelu said...

The woman as cargo bit isn't as overtly offensive as the comments that follow are. I can't help but think they thought they were being funny or clever (alas they missed the mark) but look at what such "jocularity" inspires in others!

Ugh...

I was watching E! this morning (I know, I'm sorry) and there was a PR guru talking about the Chris Brown/ Rhianna hoopla and he actually said something along the lines of, "If Rhianna comes out and takes partial responsibility..." WTF??? She should take blame for having her ass handed to her? Really? So if you're having a heated argument with your significant other it's okay to pummel them silly in a fit of rage as long as they were arguing too? That's an excellent lesson to teach their teenage fans. As long as she "makes" you angry, it's okay. Culture of rape indeed.