Wednesday, April 06, 2005

More from Riverbend

Riverbend had more news from Iraq.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

I especially recommend the post from March 23, where she talks about her memories of the start of the Iraqi war:

The faces in the safe room were white with tension. My cousin’s wife sat in the corner, a daughter on either side, her arms around their shoulders, murmuring prayers softly. My cousin was pacing in front of the safe room door, looking grim and my father was trying to find a decent radio station on the small AM/FM radio he carried around wherever he went. My aunt was hyperventilating at this point and my mother sat next to her, trying to distract her with the voice of the guy on the radio talking about the rain of bombs on Baghdad. A seemingly endless 40 minutes later, there was a slight lull in the bombing- it seemed to have gotten further away.

I took advantage of the relative calm and went to find the telephone. The house was cold because the windows were open to keep them from shattering. I reached for the telephone, fully expecting to find it dead but I was amazed to find a dial tone. I began dialing numbers- friends and relatives. We contacted an aunt and an uncle in other parts of Baghdad and the voices on the other end were shaky and wary. “Are you OK? Is everyone OK?” Was all I could ask on the phone. They were ok… but the bombing was heavy all over Baghdad. Shock and awe had begun.

1 comment:

zelda1 said...

There was an article on one of the online news sources that I read and it was about a troop of U.S. soldiers. They found a three week old puppy in one of the hot spots of the war. It's a place called lava land or something like that and they named their pet lava. After a while, the puppy grew into a dog, as puppies do, and he was not afraid of the bombings or aircrafts flying low ect. My point is, while I think of all those little puppies and kittens that are in those hot spots, seperated from their mama and how they are starving and with sores all over them and how nice for the soldiers to car about this little puppy, I still can't help wonder about the children in those places; you know, those children who hear bombs explode, see parents and friends die, feel the terror of seeing big men in green suits carrying guns, and not knowing if they are going to have food or water. I guess what I'm saying that while it was heart warming to hear about the kindness of those soldiers who rescued the puppy and how the report was suppose to make us love our soldiers, which I do don't misunderstand me, but at the same time, I have to feel contempt at what is being done to the children in the hot spots.