Saturday, September 07, 2024

It's Official

I submitted my intention to retire letter, and it has been officially accepted. Last day of work: May 13, 2025. I can see the end from here.

When the kid was little, and we were driving back and forth to Fayetteville, or to Clarksville for our writing group, there would often be a moment when, as exhausted as we were, Dr. Skull and I would begin to feel like we would never reach home.

As we passed a mileage marker (49 miles to Fort Smith), one or the other of us would say, "Fort Smith is getting further and further away."

The kid would often say, "It's not! What do you mean? It's NOT."

Now he says he understands what we mean. He was coming home from teaching on the bus and he was like, "Home is getting further and further away."

That's me right now. Retirement is getting further and further away.


No comments: