Tuesday, October 06, 2015

In Which I Am Cursed


Dr. Skull and I have an in-joke for when life suddenly goes awry like this -- when out of nowhere, everything starts going wrong at once:

  • I break a tooth 
  • the washing machine breaks down 
  • the kid gets sick not once but twice (so far this month) 
  • I get put on the Committee From Hell (the committee members are lovely; the work load is the problem)
  • I find out I need a root canal -- see broken tooth, above -- for which my dental insurance will cover only some of the cost
  • the dog gets fleas and gives them to the cats 
  • the state sends us a letter saying we owe (I kid you not) nearly two thousand dollars in back taxes
  • and now, this morning, we go out in the garage to find the car has yet another flat tire. (We ran over a screw.  ANOTHER SCREW. The AAA guy says the city is doing a lot of construction; he's seeing a lot of flat tires as a result.  He says this is better than the other tires he had to change this morning, two of them, a result of a woman whose ex-boyfriend came around during the night to slash two of the tires on her truck. Count your blessings, I guess.)


"Uh-oh," we say. "We're in an astrological cold spot."

To be clear, neither of us believe in astrology.  Or magical thinking of any kind. Or fate. Or even bad luck.

I don't even believe the universe is actually fucking with us.

But jeez, universe,  Let up a little.  I give.

4 comments:

nicoleandmaggie said...

I totally believe in magical thinking. You're due for some good luck in the future!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Shakespeare says "When trouble comes, they come not in single spies but in battalions." (Forgive him the pronoun disagreement.)

We're having our own cluster fuck at chez Fie, so I feel you. Ours isn't quite as bad as yours unless I get extra credit for hubby still not having a job and nary a cent of unemployment yet.

delagar said...

Fie: I think you've got us beat in depth what we make up in breadth, tho. Maybe all our stars improve soon!

N&M: From your mouth to God's ears!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Yay! Extra credit!

Your situation is an awful heap of bullshit, though. I hope it gets better soon.