Here's the list I have right now. Bearing in mind that they are working class students themselves, and I have to keep this list more or less to something they can afford to buy, do y'all have advice? Any great mistakes I've made? Anything you think I desperately need to add?
- American Working Class Literature, Oxford University Press: an anthology. Usu. I hate anthologies, but this one contains a lot of cool, useful works. TOC here.
- Bartleby the Scrivener, Melville. It's available free on iBooks and really cheap on Kindle.
- Tillie Olsen, Tell Me A Riddle
- George Orwell, Road to Wigan Pier
- Sandra Cisneros, Woman Hollering Creek
- Richard Russo, Nobody's Fool
- Dorothy Allison, Trash
I'd kind of like to cut at least one of those books, since we're getting close to what I can ask students to spend. Anyway. Advice and suggestions are welcome!