Friday, February 15, 2013

Applying For Jobs

As some of you may know, I am applying for jobs out there in the world.

One job I looked at today, a job I wouldn't mind having but which is hardly the best job in the world, is asking -- for the initial screening, for the first level of applications -- for


  • A letter of application
  • A CV
  • Official Transcripts
  • sample upper and lower syllabi (for the area of specality)
  • evidence of teaching experience
  • statement of teaching philsophy
  • student evaluations
  • a writing sample
That's for the initial screening -- for the who knows about many applications?  Maybe 80, maybe 120, maybe 150 initial application are going to send (at some expense) all nine of those documents to the Search Committee.  That's a ton of work, and a certain amount of money, and most of that work is wasted work.  How many of those applications are going to be seriously considered?  Five?  Ten?

I'm at the point where I don't even apply for positions where the hiring committee is this inept, frankly.




4 comments:

Anthea said...

Good luck with the job application!

delagar said...

L,somehow when I was deleting spam, your comment got deleted. :(

It's not in the spam folder, so I didn't slip up & mark it as spam.

Not sure what happened.

delagar said...

Sorry, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Aint no thing. Best of luck! --L