Thursday, May 12, 2022

Family? What!

My nephew (who went to college in Fayetteville and now has a job and a wife there) is having his first child, and my brother and sister-in-law (who was my BFF in high school) have just moved to Fayetteville to help take care of the baby. (They're also retiring.)

This means that for the first time since I was 26, I have extended family in the area. It's very nice, I must say. Yesterday my brother and SIL came down the hill and we went looking at used furniture shops together and then had lunch. And Saturday they are all coming down for my kid's birthday dinner.

Before I went to graduate school, my brother and his family lived close to my parents' house and we were in and out of each other's places every day. I'd forgotten how pleasant it could be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of you in this. There are some specific family members that I would prefer to have continuing to live their 1000ish-mile distance away, but there are several that I would love to have be within a 20-min radius or less of my house.

Of course, they all live within a 20-min to 2-hour drive from one another, so I clearly don't them nearby so badly that I'm moving to them. Because you couldn't pay me enough to move there. They aren't conservatives, but it's a conservative state that gets in the news with some frequency.

delagar said...

I didn't know how much I missed having them nearby until they moved here!

They moved from Alabama, and a very red county, to here in NW Arkansas, which is about as blue as anywhere in Arkansas is.