Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Moar Science!

In between scrubbing and baking, go read this excellent essay by Belle Boggs over at Orion, on why we need better science education in K-12.

The Science of Citizenship.

Key graphs:

Hawbridge students and teachers take a lot of field trips, usually about two a month. Two years ago, during a study of contemporary innovations, we were preparing for a trip to the planetarium.

“You know I don’t believe in any of that stuff, Ms. Boggs,” said one of my students, a junior I’ll call Amy.

“What stuff?” I asked.

“You know,” she said, looking at the ceiling. “Outer space.”

“What do you think is up there then, Amy?”

“God,” she said. “And clouds. And Jesus.”


2 comments:

jen said...

Has this kid seen any of the Hubble pictures? Images from Mars? How much of it does she think is real, and where does she think the illusion starts?

delagar said...

I have students who believe that the Moon landing was faked. Some high school teacher around here (I have heard) is teaching that in his classroom.