Thursday, August 16, 2012

So Long As We Both Shall Never...

So this post over on Unfogged touched off an unexpectedly interesting conversation between Dr. Skull and me.

The gist of the post is that Alameida is surprised, though not threatened, to find that her husband would not take her back if she ever cheated on him -- they had never had this conversation before, and his answer is not the one she was expecting.

It occurred to me, as I was reading through the comments (the comments are always 98% of the point, over on Unfogged) that, in fact, Dr. Skull and I had never had this conversation.

We'd had a variation on this conversation: early in our marriage we had the Beyond-Which-Boundary? conversation, the one where you say, Okay, what exactly would you have to do for me to say that is unforgivable, our marriage is over?

Mine was if he hit my kid (we didn't even have a kid yet); his was if I left him. Since neither are likely to happen, we're okay I guess. But we never even thought to discuss fucking around on one another.

AS IT HAPPENED, I had this thought while I was lying bed next to Dr. Skull reading Unfogged on my iPad. So I kicked him in the knee and said, "Hey."

"Whut?" he said. He was reading Lord of the Rings for the 900th time.

"What if I slept with someone else?" I asked.

"Why? Are you going to?"

I snorted. As if. "But if I did. Would you take me back?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Yes, I'd take you back. Don't do it."

"I'm not, Jesus. But you'd really take me back?" I admit I was surprised, though I don't know why.

"Yes." He turned a page.

I thought this over.

"Don't do it," he added again.

"I'm not," I said. "Fuck's sake." I kicked his knee again and moved onto another blog.

I've just noticed he didn't ask me the same question. Hmm.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yes, I'd take you back. Don't do it."

OMG, that is the perfect answer! He got it right. -- L

Anonymous said...

It's me again. I just wanted to tell Dr. Skull, "Well done!" --L

delagar said...

IKR?

I don't know why it surprised me so much. It's just like him.