This is a class I've been wanting to teach for a couple years. It's had a couple of titles over the years -- I was calling it Working Class Fiction for a time -- but now it's called American Epics. A better, because wider, title.
But it's require lots of prep, and I'm as pressed for time as always.
Right now I'm using five novels:
- Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
- John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath
- Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove
- Neil Gaiman, American Gods
- Octavia Butler, Seed to Harvest
I want to include a number of movies as well. I have, vaguely, some ideas about which movies I might include. But I'm not as strong on movies as I am on novels. I'm thinking True Grit (the new one), Groundhog Day, The Searchers, Jaws, and Unforgiven.
Any other ideas?