(1) Our heat, which has been broken for who knows how long, we only found out it was broken when we tried to turn it on last week, and have been freezing in the dark since, is finally fixed again. Yay!
(2) My bad shoulder is scheduled to be mended, by out-patient surgery, on December 3rd, about which procedure I have mixed feelings. The guy in my class who just had the same procedure done says ow-ow-ow, and boy if I think it hurts NOW. OTOH, boy does it hurt now. On the third hand, December 3rd is right before the semester ends, and how will I write on the board for the last week of class? Fume, fume.
(3) The kid is studying evolution, on her own. Well, I will admit I craftily left a couple of kids' books about evolution lying about on the table in the living room where we all do our school work...then when she read the first one and came to me saying, yo, this is cool, I responded with just the right touch of idle oh, yeah, it is, huh? which one must use with the ten-year-old kid if one is to get her solidly on the hook...but man, I am so pleased. I was twelve when I started reading about evolution, and it started me down the track to my general love of science that has never gone away. (If I could only do math, you know, maybe I'd be an actual scientist. Instead, I just write about them.) She's read all (which means three) the books the Pork Smith Public library had for kids on evolution -- they have no books for adolescents, huh, imagine that -- and I found one book at the local bookstore that wasn't an OOOO-Evolution-is-EEEEEvil book (Evolving Planet, it's pretty good) and got her that. Now I'm waiting for the books PZ recommended over on his site, many of which I scored on Paperback Swap, to come in the mail.
(4) How did the end of the semester get so close? Must be all the Vicodin I've been doing.
(5) Now that the semester is drawing to a close, I need more books to read. Who has suggestions?